I love music.
But I’m not one of those who claim “I love all kinds of music.” I don’t.
I’m very specific in what I like.
Mostly what I like is called “Alternative” music but whatever it is, it’s not Pop music. If something is uber-popular, so goes my belief, it can’t possibly be very good. Unfortunately, this bias bleeds into movies (as seen here) and books. And many times I am wrong.
Like most people, I strongly associate certain life events with certain songs. And many songs are associated with my writing.
For fun, here are the songs that I either listened to while writing the stories in Welcome, Anybody, or are associated with a real-life event that somehow informed the story.
Though if you asked me to explain the connection between the songs and the stories, I’m not sure I could. It’s just something I feel.
Since most of the stories in the collection were written in the 90s, most of the songs are from that decade. And I only included two CAKE songs, when really we all know the whole soundtrack could be just their songs.
The one story/song exception is the story Minimal, written about the year 2000, with the song “Sometime Around Midnight,” released in 2009.
When I first heard the song, I thought, “Wow, that guy read my story.” Which would have been impossible.
But the night he describes in the song is exactly how I pictured the night that happens in Minimal and the primal pain of heartbreak coming out.
So sit back and enjoy a tour of 90’s music and the soundtrack to Welcome, Anybody.
- Debris – Zoot Suit Riot, Cherry Popppin Daddies
- The Safest Place in the World – Undone (the Sweater Song), Weezer
- Minimal – Sometime Around Midnight, Airborne Toxic Event
- Universal Girlfriend – Better Man, Pearl Jam
- The Small of Her Back – Round Here, Counting Crows
- Supergirl – Wicked Game, Chris Isaak
- Earthquake Weather – Iris, Goo Goo Dolls
- What We Call Living – Crash Into Me, Dave Matthews Band
- Spin Cycle – Save Me, Aimee Mann
- The Good Middle Hours – Italian Leather Sofa, Cake
- A Divorced Man’s Guide to the First Year – Myriad Harbour, The New Pornographers
- Shakespeare’s Garden – Walking After You, Foo Fighters
- Welcome Anybody – California Stars, Billy Bragg & Wilco
- The Last Time – Love You Madly, Cake